Monday, April 26, 2010

Ying and Yang - Pros and Cons - To Fence or Not To Fence

As I was outside one morning; scooping poop; listening to four terriers barking non-stop; I yelled up to the house, "You are the joy of my life and the bane of my existence". Then my mind started to wander, as my mind often does, and I started thinking about fences and dog doors. Being a Libra, my mind often slides back and forth over the proverbial fence. I also often sit atop that fence wobbling over decisions. But this is not about me, it's about the pros and cons of fences and pet doors. (in my opinion)

Fenced In Yards (conventional fences):

Pros; Your pets can't run out in the street and get killed or lost. Fences prevent fights with stray animals. They protect wild life from being hurt by or hurting your cherished fur-babies. You always know where those babies are (if the fence is in good condition). You don't have to take the time to walk your dog, (especially useful when you are running late to work). Fences keep the neighbor hood clean and the neighbors from stepping in poop. Fences provide privacy.

Cons; You have to scoop to avoid stepping in unpleasant things, (that never quite works for me, for every two I scoop I step in at least one). There is a tendency by some to just put the animal out by him/herself, thereby denying him/her quality, one on one time. Fences can cause issues with neighbors when animals make a lot of noise, especially at 2 AM. Fences can block the view.

Electric Fences:

Pros; Underground electric fences do not interrupt your view with unsightly fence lines. They can be used in neighborhoods that prohibit fences. If self installed, they are cheaper than standard fencing. They are easier to maintain than standard fences, (as long as nobody digs).

Cons; Electric fences do not always work. (Ditto for electric collars) Given the right incentive (i.e. other animals, children, food, thunder phobia, etc.) your pet will cross the fence line, usually at top speed. He/She crosses the line so quickly that he/she doesn't even notice the jolt. However, when returning he/she is not moving as fast and not as highly motivated, and he/she does feel the shock. Now he/she can't get back in. Electric fencing may keep your animal in, but will not keep other animals or people out. This can put your baby and/or the other animal or person at risk. It is possible to break an animal's spirit with electric fences and collars. He/She receives punishment (the shock) but has no idea what he/she did wrong. The jolt just comes out of nowhere.

Dog/Cat Doors:

Pros; Your pet can go in and out whenever he/she needs or wants to. Dog/Cat doors can lessen your stress of not being home in time to let your little guys out. If there is a home emergency (i. e. fire, flood etc), your baby can get out of the house.

Cons; Your pet can go in and out whenever he/she wants to, (this can allow that 2AM barking.) Puppies, kittens and small animals can be in danger if left out alone. Animal theft is real, as is intentional injury to pets that can get out when you are not there to protect them. Dogs can be injured if they slam into a closed door at full speed, (that goes for sliding glass doors too). Other creatures can access your house, not all of them being cats and dogs. Burglars can easily enter through large pet doors.

Side Notes: Walking forms bonds and provides companionship between people and pets. It is good exercise for all and forms relationships between neighbors; nothing starts a conversation like animals and babies. So even if your yard is fenced, you and your fur-baby should walk long and often.
As long as I have had pets of my own, I have had a fenced in yard and a dog door. Yes, it was my boy Toppie (
dog in socialization article) who slammed into a closed dog door at full speed. Now in my defense, I did not let him out when the door was closed. One of his favorite things was a good game of chase with my Doberman. Toppie would slam full force into the back door, popping it open, circle around and come in through the dog door. One day it was closed.
As to strays coming in the door; my sister has found more than one opossum on her screened in porch eating cat food. And burglars? Well that depends on the size of the door. My brother-in-law had to climb through mine once. His only comment--"any burglar who squeezes through that door deserves anything he gets."

Personally, I love my dog door. In my first job, (all 35 years of it) I was required to work a lot of overtime. Without the dog door I would have come home to some awful messes.
I am not in favor of electric fences or collars of any kind. In my opinion the cons far outweigh the pros. My neighbors had a dog that constantly scaled the fence and wandered about the neighborhood. In desperation they used an electric fence and collar. He went from being a happy go lucky guy to a little old man overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment